Your bedroom is an oasis, a place for relaxation and rejuvenation after a long day. It’s easy to turn your bedroom into a serene retreat by using a few easy and inexpensive decorating tips. Painting and carpeting can be costly and time consuming, but there are still ways to create a fresh, new, and inviting look.
There are two main areas to focus on in the bedroom when decorating: the bed itself and the accessories used throughout the room. Since the bed is the main focal point of the room, this is a great place to start when creating a new look. Accessories also provide a way to customize your bedroom on a budget.
1) Use a plain comforter or duvet and dress it up with a variety of throw pillows and shams. Microfleece blankets are wonderfully soft and cozy and make a great coverlet.
2) Coordinating pillow shams and bedskirts help to create a polished and elegant look. If you are handy at sewing, you can make shams and a bedskirt from a long curtain panel which can then match your window curtains for a fraction of the price of buying them finished. Curtains can also be easily made from other fabric you may have or from flat bed sheets.
3) Decorative pillows placed on the bed or in a chair, adds a charming touch. Look for pillows that are on sale or make them yourself from inexpensive fabric. A variety of sizes, colors, and textures help to bring interest and color to a bedroom.
4) Placing a coordinating throw across the bottom of the bed adds a touch of coziness and can help pull all the colors in the room together. It’s also nice to have a throw handy when you want to curl up and read or watch TV.
5) Take a look at your bedroom accessories and choose a few things to change or add. For example, you can purchase a new lamp or even repaint an existing one. Sometimes by simply replacing a lamp shade (whether purchasing a new one or crafting your own) your lamp will look brand new.
6) Wall art is also a quick décor change that’s easy on the wallet. Take an existing frame and put some pretty scrapbook paper inside. Paint or decoupage a wooden sign or stretched canvas for a new piece to hang on the wall.
7) Choose a piece of furniture (perhaps from a garage sale) and make some changes to it. Paint it a fresh new color or just add some pretty new knobs or pulls to make it look unique.
It is possible to create a warm and welcoming bedroom with just a little bit of time, money, and creativity. Think about the colors, patterns, and styles that make you happy and then begin your adventure. Soon your bedroom can be cozy, comfortable, and a place you are thrilled to call your own. Most of all, have fun, relax and enjoy your finished project!